Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Summer Pickups

As mentioned in my previous post, I have been very busy with work this summer and I have had little time to log or post pickups.

I have managed to pickup some nice cards this summer for very low prices. I have mainly been focusing on between the pipes cards and going for journeymen goalies.

Not many people appreciate the journeymen, although I always have. Almost all hockey players as youngsters dream of playing in the NHL and very few people ever make it there. Some of the few that make it, make it for a very brief period of time and spend a LONG time trying to make it back to get one more chance.


Maxime Ouellet was a highly touted prospect in junior and his career in pro never really amounted to much. Ouellet was excellent on weak Canadian World Junior teams and I really liked his style. This led me to writing Ouellet and asking for an autograph, which I recieved: my very first through the mail autograph.

What I really like about this card is that the two jersey pieces feature jerseys from his time with the Washington Captials and Portland Pirates.

Ouellet was outstanding for a weak Pirates team in the 2003-04 season, which featured a team with only two players posting more then 40 points! In 52 games Ouellet posted a 1.99 GAA, ten shutouts, .930 save percentage despite having a weak record of 15 wins, 29 loses and 8 ties.

Ouellet had one more decent season in the AHL before struggling and bouncing around various pro leagues finally retiring in the 2008-09 season.

This is the first of my many summer pickups that I hope to keep posting over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment