Thursday, February 2, 2012

The One That Got Away

Not a whole lot of mail to report these days due to the fact that my focus for my collection is changing. About six month's ago, hoping to boost my overall collection quality, I decided to only purchase higher end cards and to trade only for anything low end. The BIG problem with this is that "smalls" as I like to call them, are where my heart is, especially anything from the 90's. I really enjoy collecting the inserts and parallels from the 90's, especially 95-96 and 97-98. Secondly, my trade list is not very great considering I tried my hand at selling on eBay for a few years and  kepy on moving out anything not pc.

So, back to my title, the card that got away from me today;


This card is actually a dual autograph with Eric Lindros. It ended up selling for $122 and change, about $40 more then I was willing to pay. Ever since this card came out, I dreamed of owning one. A big reason I collect 90's stuff is because it has so much sentimental value to me. It takes me back to my carefree days of childhood. I think of all the hours I spent going through beckett, drooling over cards I never thought I would own. This all changed when I started going to the sports card expo a few years back in Toronto. I discovered my child treasures had severely decreased in value and that a lot of the cards I thought I would never own, could be had for just a few dollars.

While I'm disappointed I lost this card, a big time childhood Holy Grail of mine, it just means the money I would have spent can go towards crossing off a lot of my wants, mainly lower end 90's inserts and parallels.I'm also happy to know that this card does indeed exist and that I've finally been able to see one and try to acquire it. I also can't forget about some big wants of mine this year: adding some big name autographs to my collection: Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky. I really hope to add these autographs in the coming year. It will also be nice to come across those old score autographs of Bobby Orr and Maurice Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment