Sunday, April 3, 2011

TTM Mail Day #20: Jimmy Waite


I have been trying to track down Jimmy Waite since he retired in 2009. I did some recent searching and found some sort of short biography that mentions he works for SBK hockey. I found the address, sent off some cards and about 3 weeks later, this past Friday I got the cards back signed.


I have always thought that Waite never deserved the label of bust. He was drafted in the first round by the Hawks after playing excellent at the World Juniors. He was stuck behind Ed Belfour and later Dominik Hasek in Chicago. He never really got a fair chance to find his way in the NHL and if he had seen some more games (in the NHL) at a crucial time in his development he might have stayed in the league.


After bouncing between the minors and NHL for 11 season, Waite spent two years with the baby Leafs in the AHL without receiving another call up. Most likely fed up and looking for a change of scenery he took his trade to Germany where he was outstanding for 8 more seasons. He finally hung up the pads at the age of 40 after back stopping his team to a 47 save win.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I discovered your blog today and really enjoy it. I really like the customs you do and look forward to seeing more 'In The Crease' sigs (the Bromley is fantastic).

    Do you have a wantlist for your Fred Brathwaite collection? Living in Calgary, I sometimes come across oddball stuff and would be happy to keep an eye out for you.

    Take care and keep up the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words! I have enjoyed following your blog and your Linden collection!

    I don't have a wantlist at the moment, although I'm currently working on a database of my player collections. When I compile my Brathwaite stuff I will send you the list of what I have!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete