Friday, November 11, 2011

Toronto Sports Card Expo: My Top 3 Finds

After counting down the days for the last six month's the day of the sports card expo finally came. As much as I can't wait for the day to come, I dread when it does because I know once the day is over the countdown will start again.

I usually spend quite of time planning before a show. Going through wants and checking sets for singles I need. The preparation time is quite long and the day of the show it feels like a test to see how well I have prepared.

Being my 5th show, I feel like I was more prepared then ever. I knew what I was looking for and I stayed away from loading up on too many impulse buys. I was glad I did but I can't help but feel that I failed. While it's tough to prepare for and you don't really know what sellers will bring, I feel I failed because I didn't land my top five wants: 11-12 OPC Al Montoya Retro Blank Backs, 10-11 ITG Decades Kirk McLean Signature, 10-11 ITG BTP Signature Kirk McLean, 01-02 Pacific Vanguard Brathwaite/Turek dual patch and 01-02 Titanium Ront Tugnutt Game Used Stick.

Despite not landing some major wants I did find some nice stuff. Here is my top three:

3) 1997-98 Donruss Priority Patrick Roy Stamp of Approval /100



I can't believe I found this card in a dump bin for $5! I see common's sell in the $8-$10 range on ebay, so i figure I could fetch maybe at least $15-$20 on ebay if I sold this. But it's staying right in my collection as it's a beauty of a card!

2) 2008-09 ITG BTP Draft Day Duos Al Montoya/ Marek Schwarz


A great card for my Montoya PC. I have been looking for this card for a year and it`s limited to 40 copies. The seller wanted $15 but he took my offer of $10 right away.

1) 2005-06 Hot Prospects Al Montoya Prized Prospects Patch RC FOUR COLOR PATCH!!


I already have this card, except my patch is a boring one color. I found this card and the seller wanted $25. At the time I was not sure, so I said I would think about it. I walked around and realized I would probably not have another chance at a patch this nice, so I returned and landed the card for $20.

I managed to pick up some other nice stuff and will post it all in the coming days.

1 comment: